2003/02/23

I'm somewhat bored, somewhat tired, and somewhat lazy. I have emails I should reply to, I have reading I should be doing, and I have articles I ought to write. Instead, I have watched two episodes of The Awful Truth, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and now I'm posting. Which I'm overdue to do anyhow, so it works out.

I did clean up my room, and I got some reading done earlier in the week, so it balances out somewhat. I'm doing okay and I'll be fine, I'm just uninspired. I need the approaching deadline in order to do something, which explains why I didn't get my paper written this week and various other things I should've done -- like reading. Not done. Urgh.

Anyhow, what have the last few days been? Well, Thursday Mark swung by my work to hang out and grab lunch. I was told later that the coworker was shooting him the stink eye, which I thought was rather amusing, especially as Mark certainly wasn't doing anything wrong. After work, I vegged and watched television, pinned by the cats. I also sent in another application, this time for a men's magazine, forwarded to me by Jay.

Friday I had a phone interview with the general manager/editor-in-chief of the magazine, and we talked some really promising prospects. For now, I'm just writing for them -- just the website and the print magazine. Just. I know, eh? :) (The editor described it as my possibly becoming one of their feature authors). My articles will appear on the website on a weekly basis, and I'll be in the print mag once a month. They're looking to take their publication national within five months, The job could expand into my being the liaison for Ontario, including doing promotions work and setups and stuff like that, but that's down the line. There's going to be a publicity blitz thingy in Toronto in a few months, and I've been invited to participate in that.

So... holy fucking shit, eh what? How fucking cool is that? Admittedly, I know that magazines fail all the time, but I'm choosing instead to look at this from a favourable, encouraging, great opportunity that may go so far as to make use of my degree type of thing. We'll see what happens over the next while, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the other online job I applied for, but I'm hoping that pans out as well. Between the two jobs and my sites, I'd be pretty set for writing.

Anyhow, after that I went to work and then came home again. Dad and I stood around debating what we were going to get for dinner, and never quite figured it out; I wound up grabbing a bagel from Timmy's on my way to R & N's place. I ran out of the house as fast as I could while it filled up with my sister's friends, who were loud and ... well, just loud. I wasn't in the mood for loud Friday night. Got together with a couple of friends for a small gathering, had a blast doing it, and played a card game called Girl Genius that was pretty cool.

During the course of the evening, however, we discussed:
* Whether or not frogs could have a gang bang.
* How many frogs you'd need to put in a can before they would have to have a gang bang.
* That if you filled a small room with enough people, they would soon be forced to have a gang bang.
* How best to monitor at what point you've reached gang bang status: whether it would be sensors on various genitalia that would best work, or whether moisture sensors would work best; the second option was somewhat overrulled due to the inevitable sweat factor that comes from having that many people in a small room.
* The electronic sign near my house that has various holiday messages, such as: "I love you. Your valentine, Jesus. Happy Valentine's Day." and ""I'm coming soon," Jesus. Happy Easter."
* Whether or not R's the only one who hears a shotgun cocking when the phrase, "Jesus is coming" is uttered.

This last one is very important, because it somehow turned into the mental image of Jesus, with a bandana wrapped around his head, bedecked in his robe and sandals, with the proper crimefighting stance.

Somehow, it went from Jesus armed with a shotgun to Jesus armed with a crossbow that fired penises. We decided that a penis fluffer was necessary in order to keep them at the ready, at which point N(male) volunteered the option of a quivering quiver -- to keep the penises hard. I said if they just got 'em from guys in their horniest prime (such as 18), then keeping them at the ready wouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm sure there were other things we covered that were funny, but I can't seem to bring them to mind. Suffice it to say, it was a small group, a goofy evening, and great hiliarity was shared by all. That, and we're likely all going to Hell -- but at least we'll have one another's company to share while we're there.

Anyhow, after that evening started to break up, I headed over to Ben and Mark's, as originally planned, and hung out with them for a bit. Ben and I talked unCultured issues, debating the merits of the various sites that I access on a regular basis, and Mark toddled up to bed. Ben and I followed around 2:30 in the morning, and shortly thereafter I was asleep.

It wasn't necessarily the best rest I've had, but it was certainly a funny one, in a way; throughout the night Mark and I kept waking up, readjusting positions, flipping over pillows that we'd drooled on, resnuggling or moving apart, but always falling back asleep. Around 10:30 or 11, I thought I was wide awake; Mark's alarm went off at 11:30, then at 1 Mark decided it was time to get up... I fell back asleep, and around 25 to 2 I nudged Mark to wake up (who was, I have to say, sleeping on one pillow, with his arm braced against the bed holding his head up, mouth open, snoring slightly). Now, that documentation fails to note the number of times I woke up and kept resting my eyes, or thought I was awake only to discover shortly that I'd woken up again, or merely readjusted positions to get more comfortable. Generally I don't sleep in installments like that, but last night I did. It amused me.

After a slow start, I drove Mark to work and came home, where I've been ever since. Dad made a new pork tenderloin recipe for dinner, which was Jamaican Jerk, and interesting. It used spices like thyme, cumin, ginger root, garlic, allspice and nutmeg, and was different. I'm not entirely sure if I really loved it or not, but it was a change and the pork itself was quite tender. If this sounds like a recipe anyone wants to try, email me and I can give it to you. To accompany it, Dad made his stir-fried rice, which my sister apparently made for her new roommate, who hails from Beijing, and minus the soy sauce, it was deemed authentic (namely 'cause Dad scrambles an egg into it, which is, according to the roommate, true to Chinese form). The only problem I had with the rice, which I normally quite enjoy, was that Dad threw a bit of leftover ginger in it, and while I like ginger fine, I wasn't terribly enthused about it in the rice. Ah well, I survived.

And all of that culinary dissertation brings us up to about now, where I've finished watching movies and checking for email. Thursday night the folks and I hit Wendy's for dinner, and while there, they were asking me if I had plans to continue on and do a Master's. I found this somewhat startling; if anything, I haven't the cash (hello more loans or *maybe* scholarships), the marks (although they're good, they're not stellar) and I think it's a bit too late to do something like that. I wouldn't mind doing a Master's in nonverbal communication, but that would be more for interest than actual career stuff. Although who knows what's going to happen down the road? Certainly not I, that's for sure.

Let's see... the sister is leaving tomorrow, provided the Storm of the Year (and last year) doesn't prohibit her flight from departing. I may just pray it doesn't; I really wouldn't mind seeing the back of her. We get along much better when I don't have to share a house with her. :) Which is another reason I'm praying this job stuff pans out, 'cause I need to boost my income ever so slightly before I'll feel comfortable moving out. And I'm hoping to do that by or during the summer. *happy sigh* I'm looking forward to setting up house, especially if I have a career of sorts established when I do so.

*dance*

So yes, what this means is that I owe Jay dinner at the least, and quite possibly my first-born child. Or children, we'll see. :) Anyhow, now that I'm awake and eating pie, I'm going to see what else I can do on this infernal machine. Maybe even a bit of writing, who knows?

No comments: