2002/03/21

I love books.

I love the weight of them in my hand. The look of the brand new covers. The smell of them, depending on the bindings and pages. I love being at the beginning of a book, reading something I've never read before and being hooked.

I love rereading good books, even if I know what they're going to say. I love rereading books that make me laugh out loud.

I love being in the middle of a book, and trying to guess how it might end. I love finishing a book; the combined sense of loss and accomplishment that I get, particularly when it was a good book.

I love having phrases and lines stuck in my head, making me laugh or think. I love being so absorbed in a book that I don't hear the things going on around me. I love being so absorbed in a book that I lose track of myself and I'm so immersed in the fantasy world that the author has created that I continue thinking about them even when I've put down the book.

Conversely, I hate people. I hate the guy that crashed into me at Rideau the other day, and turned around to see me give him a really dirty look. I hate the people that walk slowly in front of me when I'm in a hurry to go somewhere, and move in my way everytime I'm trying to move around them. I hate the people that take forever in the lineups ahead of me, but only when I'm feeling impatient. I hate the people that overlook me when I need to talk to them, or ignore me when I'm speaking.

I do like individuals. I like my friends, I like the people I get to know; I just hate crowds of people. I hate having people jostle me or run into me. Crowds are stupid; individuals are nice. :)

No comments: