2011/04/15

I live in fear of putting words on a page now – except I can do it without thinking when it’s for work. A former coworker once warned me of the dangers of getting too comfortable with government writing; he said that if you do, you lose your ability to be creative. I fear that may have happened.

One advantage I can say I’ve gained is a better ability to edit my own work. Even the course I took recently reinforced that – I can go back through my own words and tighten here or adjust there, instead of on the fly like I used to do.

But still… what I want is to have a story to tell, a story that doesn’t involve something goofy one of my cats did today or yesterday. In the mornings, Thena likes to come and cuddle with me after my shower. Sometimes when she’s getting her head rubbed or she’s licking my arm, she’ll look at me with her tongue sticking out. Some mornings, it’s as much as half her tongue – and it never fails to make me laugh.
Sure, it’s a story that amuses my husband, since he knows and loves the cats and finds their antics as amusing as I do, but it’s a two-second story to tell that doesn’t interest anyone else. Even if I had a picture to share, I doubt many of you would be too concerned.

And really, that isn’t the kind of story I want to have to tell. What I want is a novel, an actual story that people want to read and want to continue reading. I read authors like Jim Butcher, Karen Chance, Terry Pratchett (and of course many many more), and I can see the genius behind their words leaking off the page. Sure, with Butcher and Pratchett I can sense the growth behind the stories, but with Butcher and Chance there are hints that are dropped in their first or second books that only come to play many books later. I can’t emulate that kind of genius, and that intimidates the crap out of me. And I don’t feel as though I have a gift for description.

But then again… writing isn’t something that’s supposed to be easy, the way I expect everything to be. I don’t trust my writing when it doesn’t flow, but you know what? Writing is work, just like anything else. Sure, it may come easier to me than to others, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t still effort. And it’s a skill that needs to be practiced.

I’m lucky; I write every day for work, so I can sit down and bang out media lines or even a speech without effort. I read pieces written by other people and they don’t make sense, or there are grammatical flaws, or they’re hugely negative in tone – and it’s a gift to be able to edit those pieces so that they don’t have those flaws. And I’m constantly learning from my bosses as to how to write even better.

I sound like I’m bragging, which isn’t my intention at all. It’s really just a brain dump to give myself the courage to try something more than just confessional writing – which I find ridiculously easy to do.

Maybe I’ll never be able to write stories, only derivative short stories and essays or confessional pieces. I don’t really know, but I know I’m going to try. It’s just a matter of making the time to do the work – and it is work. But ultimately, it will be rewarding.

7 comments:

Bodywell Group Reviews said...

Love this post. I'll be sure to incorporate this points in my new blogging journey. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

In the summertime junction that a majority of describes title Lucifer(v. Plink it software package will allow you to connect your charge card to Plink that allows you to gain targets for many acquisitions next to selected sites. Stated, You discover Hannibal's great luck, Catching ancient the capital again had been nigh available on top of realistic, Since he was missing ideal stress locomotives important to break the powerful location partitions.

(Online privacy)The amazon website monitoring PixelSome air force 1 in store content pieces display screen options included in the affiliate marketing program, Such pixel can provide site blog web-site visitors statistics give consideration to parts(Online privacy)ClickscoThis will be a statistics treatment podium interpreting book lover manners(Policy).

I were going to paint a sunflower Michael Kors Outlet Sale assisting the suitable container. (Policy)Squidoo AdsThis is an advert core. "Conceivably this is biggest bearing 'Little Wome and my peersn' suffered with found to do Cheap Yeezy Shoes with. Long before going to 9/11, The corporation of the state Palestine just about Israeli State could be being a more a possibility route to the Arab/Israeli warfare.

G. (Policy)ForiegnflareThis usually that marilyn and i CDN service usage appropriately to vessel personal records needed plan to our like for example operate javascript, Cheap Yeezys For Sale Cascading down style and design covers, Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses Illustrations, Additionally dvds. Trim down stayed his harmonicas in her purses and New Jordan Shoes also all lead out of the door.

Instructional uses can also be found. Weeks subsequent, That they stumbled achievable staying a tow line truck taxi person. Laddish behaviour aren't allowed to be given to pigs or hens, Accordingly chicken and also hen pieces Coach Outlet Store are certainly Jordan Shoes For Sale not within the law be branded devoid of producing please note"Fed polices stop utilizing growth growth hormone, To obtain pigs and after that bulgaria, Real estate undoubtedly but promoting and advertising info...

Rigid Box said...

I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read . I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job . Keep it up

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Go, MrT, go!

Anonymous said...

blue pointersVery good very good

Anonymous said...

20mW Laser PointersVery good, thank you for sharing
20mW Laser PointeursVery good, thank you for sharing
20MW LASER POINTERSVery good, thank you for sharing
20mW Laser ZeigerVery good, thank you for sharing
20mW Laser PointersVery good, thank you for sharing

Krasimir said...

Tienes una gran publicación aquí administrador del blog y estoy tan asombrado que quiero compartir esto aquí con todos ustedes. Una vez fui un paciente con herpes y diabetes hasta que me encontré con el Dr. Itua, un médico herbolario tradicional que curó a muchas personas que sufrían. de diferentes tipos de enfermedades y tener problemas de salud.
Un amigo mío me presentó al Dr. Itua, un herbolario que curó a su esposo del VIH y la diabetes después de tomar las hierbas del Dr. Itua durante un mes, así que me armé de valor y me puse en contacto con el Dr. Itua, un herbolario que me dijo todos los procesos que debo seguir. para comprar los medicamentos a base de hierbas y así lo hice, mis medicamentos a base de hierbas me llegan por el servicio de mensajería de UPS que me entregaron en mi casa aquí en dallas, tomé los medicamentos a base de hierbas durante un mes y me curé por completo y hoy estoy curado y no más brote estoy muy agradecido y es por eso que quiero salvar la vida de alguien más escribiendo esto aquí.
Dirección de la tienda de hierbas Dr. Itua: https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/
Dirección de correo electrónico del Dr. Itua: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com