2003/05/04

Well, Friday night I got to see X-Men 2 with Ben, Angus and Jenn. We were aiming for the 8:30 show, but those tickets sold out quite quickly, so we wound up seeing the 10:00 show instead. Gord and Shawn were supposed to join us, but didn’t. Apparently there were issues with regards to figuring everything out, but I was unaware of any of them – I was at work. Whoo. :)

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the movie. I was impressed that there was a storyline from the comics that they were working in (concerning Jean Grey, and that’s all I’m going to say – if you know the comics, you can likely figure out what storyline I’m talking about), and it definitely leaves the series open to the third movie.

While in the theatre, I noticed that someone near me was wearing Pi, by Givenchy, this really yummy men’s cologne. I think it might’ve actually been the guy sitting directly next to me, ‘cause I noticed that I could still smell it later, when we were on the bus. The four of us mocked the commercials and trailers resoundingly, and I made the odd snide remark to Ben that I heard my other companion laughing at. I always enjoy making other people laugh, especially strangers in a way – with your friends, you usually have a good idea of what’ll make ‘em laugh. With strangers, it’s a real toss-up, and it makes you glow a little when you’re successful.

Before the movie started and we were all chatting, apparently my companion was checking me out (says Angus), and was looking like he was going to say something, but no go. Me? Completely oblivious, as usual.

We went to catch the bus and I called Jay to tell him we’d seen his name in the credits – and we even cheered like the losers we are :) – and waited for the bus. And waited. And waited; it was at least a half hour before one finally showed up. We found some seats and Angus, Jenn and I chatted (although Jenn was mostly listening) and Ben slept. One guy got on the bus and I stared at him and smiled, thinking he looked an awful lot like someone I’d had classes with – he smiled at me and said hi, and I told him, “I’m sorry, you look like someone I know.” He replied that I did as well.

He sat near me, and Angus said that he also was checking me out, and kept looking as if he was going to make some comment on our conversation (which, if I remember correctly, revolved around depression, repression, feelings and other serious topics for one-thirty in the morning), but never did. Angus mentioned he was going to address a comment to this guy in order to bring him in, but didn’t. Ah well.

When the bus passed through downtown and picked up the drunks, two of them sat next to us – a guy and his girlfriend. At one point, the girl was ready to throw up; she had her hand over her mouth and then got off at the next stop. Jenn was the only one among us who noticed; I was sitting right beside her and completely unaware of what was going on, as was Angus, and of course Ben, who was still asleep.

Anyhow, we got out to the end of the line (not having woken Ben up for his stop), and I drove everyone home. Ben had roused at this point, and we discussed the finer points of telephone and long-distance relationship etiquette, as well as various other topics that had come up. Angus was my last drop-off, and he and I sat and chatted for awhile in his driveway.

I’d been invited to go to a party after the movie, had we gotten out early enough, but because it was the late show and by the time I left Angus’ it was quarter after 3, I was certainly in no mood to be driving out to a party full of relative unknowns, especially as I had to get up early.

The next morning, I woke up and drove to work. I was running seriously behind; I actually had to sprint to make it in, and I barely made it in on time, which annoyed me. Stupid ironing that I did at the last minute! We were having a huge sale at work, and I stopped twice during my entire shift (7.5 hours) – for my half-hour lunch break and my fifteen minute break. Otherwise, it was non-stop, but a lot of fun.

There are a few of my coworkers that I have a lot of fun working with, and two of them are fairly new hires (including E, who was hired at the same time as me). E and I have a total schtick going on, and it involves a lot of back and forth interplay when we’re dealing with customers and telling everyone that the other loves us and wants us. He called me a looker on Friday, which was kinda fun. :) I think he has a lot of self-esteem issues, though, which is unfortunate; he said between his first girlfriend and being the fat kid in school, he has no self-esteem. It’s really too bad, ‘cause he seems to be a really smart guy (doing chemical engineering, so he’s no dummy), and he’s got a great, upbeat attitude and he’s cute.

After work, I met up with some old friends, who are based out of Nova Scotia. Our folks have been really tight for years, and we’ve all become decent friends. Two of their daughters (the two closest in age to me) are living here this summer (one attends my uni), and the other was in town this weekend, so we’d all been ordered to hang out together.

The two youngest seemed somewhat surly for a good portion of the day, and I don’t know what was going on. Basically, once E, the eldest showed up, I just chatted with her until we got back to my place. Everyone loosened up somewhat at dinner, and E and I had alcoholic beverages with our dinner. By the end of my bottle of Smirnoff Ice, I was feeling both exhausted and comfortable.

Dad barbecued some steaks and baked potatoes, and I think that makes four times in the last two or three weeks that I’ve had steak – barbecued in particular. It’s weird; I don’t eat a lot of red meat (I pretty much live off chicken), but here I am, consuming vast amounts of it. It’s too bad the steak wasn’t as rare as I would’ve liked, but it was still quite good. My dad’s a good cook.

After dinner, the youngest three (including my sister) tried desperately to convince E to do tequila shots. They were making plans to walk to Sobey’s to buy limes or lemons so she could do them desperately, and they kept up this pushing for about an hour. As E and I said afterwards, it was funny the first few times; it was fucking annoying after an hour and a half straight. I asked my sister at one point why she was so determined to pour alcohol down E’s throat, and then the three youngest started turning it into us calling them alcoholics and they always had to drink and blah blah blah. Argh, drove me nuts, especially with my mom standing there laughing at the whole mess.

Finally, finally, finally, the three left to go to the local bar, and E and I walked over to the Dairy Queen to eat ice cream. Somewhat of a role reversal, but we were happy with it. We closed the place down, sitting over our respective desserts and chatting really nicely the whole time, then came back to the house to find the three already there. The three who’d been calling us old and tired and washed up (pardon us for having worked full days today and being tired) were stretched out in the living room, nearly falling asleep. They blamed it on their two drinks. *roll*

Anyhow, my dad drove ‘em home, and I came upstairs and watched some Buffy, read for a bit and crashed. E and I exchanged email addresses and such, and since we’re both going to be downtown basically seven days a week, we figure we’ll meet up a bit more this summer. At least, hopefully. :)

My sister has already begun her campaign of wilful stupidity and ignorance of common courtesies. It’s amazing that someone has gotten to her age and “maturity” (please take note of the sarcastic quotes) and still has not figured out the simple mechanics inherent in changing a roll of toilet paper. Or taking off her shoes when she enters the house. *mutter* My moving out or September cannot happen fast enough.

E and I had a great deal of fun trashing our sisters’ respective character flaws at the DQ though, so that was fun. It’s fantastic to vent to someone who understands and can sympathize or empathize with your point of view; I mean, it’s tricky to vent to Ben about how insane my sister can make me, considering that one of his brothers is his best friend and all. :) At the same time, I think sisters can be so much more infuriating than brothers, although I can’t really speak from personal experience.

Anyhow, I have to put some clothes on to head off to work. I hadn’t intended to write so much – I know, people complain when I post huge updates, but it gives everyone who reads here from work something to do :) – but it was there and needed saying. I will be doing some more writing from work, but for assorted other projects, and likely not this site.

And in positive work news… Mr. Asshole has finally been banned! Oh, frabjous day, calloo callay, she chortled in her joy.

No comments: