2006/02/03

Why do reporters think that me saying, "I don't really know much about this issue; I'll have to look into it and get back to you." means that they can continue asking me questions about it? Especially when those questions lead to, "I don't really know much about this issue; I'll have to look into it and get back to you" being repeated.

"So-and-so from this department told me that it's a very political issue. Why is that?"

"I don't really know much about this issue. I'll have to look into it and get back to you."

Mind you, this same reporter contacted the Deputy Minister's office to try to get answers to her questions; she figured that since s/he should be the one making those decisions, that she should ask his/her office directly.

*blink* *blink* Umm... most organizations of any size have a media relations department. They're much better equipped to a) answer your questions; b) find you information; c) line up interviews for you. All organizations with a media relations department know better than to answer any questions directly from the reporter; you always go through your media relations people first.

It's bureaucracy, people. It's not new, and while it's a pain in the ass, it's there for a reason. In the end, it's often faster to go through the proper channels.

Often. Not always.

P.S. I want to be at home.

No comments: