2006/10/23

I killed my fish this weekend, and I feel depressed about it.

In a fit of good will, I decided to clean his tank out. It had been looking kind of grungy, and -- confession alert -- I hadn't cleaned it since I got him, probably around a year ago. He never seemed to particularly care, and his appetite was always good, so I never worried too much about it. Fish in my household don't get fed every day, but I've been told with Bettas that's acceptable.

So, I don't know if it was the shock of the fresh water, or if I simply didn't rinse the tank out well enough, but I found him dead the next day. I guess I'm fortunate in a way that my cats are made of hardier stuff.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't cause them injury on occasion. I was trimming Thena's nails the other night and managed to cut one of them too short -- I nicked her quick. So, she bled. She was pretty calm about it, beyond her usual bitchfest that takes place whenever I trim her nails (maybe tied to the fact that I cut her quick once when she was a baby, or maybe just because she hates it period). I held some Kleenex to her nail and she stayed pretty still while I applied the pressure, and it stopped the worst of the bleeding fairly quickly. This means I still have four nails to cut on that paw (I'd already finished one), so poor thing has to go through this again soon.

On the whole, the weekend wasn't too bad. Friday night I saw the Frantics and really enjoyed the show. Saturday and the subsequent days have been days for me to get back in touch with people I haven't spoken to for awhile. It was prompted by conversations with a former coworker and the Newf on Saturday, and a phone call from the runner ex-, then I initiated a few calls myself -- one to Big A, with whom I hadn't spoken in probably over a year, and one to Moose that evening, on my way to Stefan's to hang out.

I felt weird vibes that evening once Stefan's gf showed up; I felt like I was maybe unwelcome or that she's still upset with me as a result of all the drama that took place, but it might just be due her having been seriously ill. I suppose I could ask, but I'm trying to avoid stirring the pot if I can.

I also spoke with a classmate of mine today, who I hadn't been in touch with since the summer. I stopped getting emails from the crowd, so I wasn't sure if I was being phased out, or if they'd just stopped trying or what. We're having coffee on the weekend to catch up, though, and they've been wondering if I was dead or even still in the program, so that's a good sign. I'm taking a course this semester at the other university, so that's why I haven't seen them in class.

It's been odd catching up on peoples' relationships the last bit. Big A is living with his lady friend, which didn't surprise me, and the big question is apparently not too far off of the horizon. My classmate, on the other hand, is getting divorced, but she says things are amicable, which makes it harder on the one hand, and kinder overall, I imagine. Big A's status threw me for a bit of a loop; I mean, I wasn't entirely surprised, but I'm definitely a bit envious. Of course, you've all heard that bemoaning a thousand times before, and so I'll try my best to keep it to a minimum: whine whine whine, why haven't I found Mr. Perfect yet when all around me are people marrying their first or second boyfriends/girlfriends?

Okay, I'm done. I'm also hungry, so I'm off to grab some lunch.

No comments: