2003/01/12

It’s kinda nice having a quiet evening to myself. The holidays were so crazy that this past week has been great – sitting around in the early evening, talking to friends online, watching DVDs on the computer, playing games, reading, and just doing what I want to do when I want to do it.

For example, today’s activities have included some time spent on reading for school (The Moonstone), as well as a few hours spent watching most of the second season of Sex and the City and a few hours spent getting through levels in WarCraft II. I also got to explore WalMart with my mom, and we bought a plant toxic to the cats, so that has to go back.

Admittedly, I’m not sleeping at decent hours, but that appears to be a pattern I fall into when I let myself, so… I can’t blame that on much.

The past few days have been somewhat busy, but in a low-key way. I’ve had my first week of classes, and I’ve been successful in changing out of the one course I had heard bad things about. It turns out that there were a bunch of errors in the online information – two of my scheduled profs have turned out to be other people, which is a good thing in some ways – but I still didn’t feel like investing the amount of effort required for the course, so I changed it. Instead of Public Opinion, a third year communications course, I’m now taking a first-year witchcraft/occult studies course. I’ve heard good things about it, and apparently I know someone who’s friends with the prof (a guy who used to work security at my work), so that’s kinda neat. Since it’s a first year course, I’m not too worried about it.

I just finished a bath, but prior to that I spent a good hour or so trouble-shooting some crap on my computer. I don’t know what happened, I don’t know why, but I fixed it. It made me very proud of myself, and I’m going to ride this for a little bit. :)

Anyhow, there’ve been a number of things piling up in the last few days that I wanted to talk about, so I’m going to have to fish out my planner to refresh my memory on what they were. I’m just that sad in two ways – one, that I would forget it, and two, that I would write it all down like that.

Okay, now it’s another day, and I have a weird dream to report. To those of you who are faithful followers of the site, you probably cringe in fear every time I write “weird dream,” remembering (and fearing) the return of something along the lines of the demon sex dream. Nonetheless, this one was odd. I was hanging out with a group of friends – some, in reality, were from high school, others I didn’t actively recognize, but in my dream I had known them for awhile. Apparently I was dating one of them, or we were just starting to date, I’m not sure. This group decided to take it into their heads to blow up a parking garage that was downtown to prove something, I don’t quite know what. I got in on the plan, with misgivings, and the day we decided to do it – Canada Day or something, a lot of people were downtown – we made sure that everyone had cleared out of the garage and it was just cars.

The explosion went off successfully, and only the people involved knew the others who were involved – no one else knew who instigated it. I remember sitting somewhere within view with a group of girlfriends who weren’t part of it, and this middle-aged lady was close enough to catch some of the blast. We saw her get spun in mid-air and she flew towards us, and landed right in our midst. We tended to her, made she was okay, and miraculously, she was. She only had a mild concussion and she was coherent and trying to get up and about – otherwise, not a scratch on her. The fact that I, as one of the instigators of this, was tending to a wounded person who was completely innocent of our misdeeds really bothered me in the dream, made me feel quite guilty; needless to say, I’m somewhat relieved upon awakening that it never happened.

Now onto a few of the subjects I wanted to cover but haven’t yet gotten around to:

Men with mullets
I was on the bus the other day, minding my own business as I read some book or another, and there were two guys sitting next to me, having a chat. The first guy -- the one who more or less sat in my lap -- was talking about how he was going to get a remote controlled butterfly vibrator for the girl he was seeing. "She'd be into it, 'cause she's pretty freaky" he was saying, and the guy to whom he was telling all of this was a mullet man. It was very obviously a mullet -- there was no denying it, as some people can kinda pass -- and he and I both got off the bus at the same stop... which gave me the opportunity to notice that he was wearing really tight jeans.

So, I had to wonder -- what the hell is the deal with men wearing mullets and tight jeans? I asked one of my coworkers, and he said it was to emphasize the guy's cock... which means what, that bald men are dickless? My coworker alluded to his short hair and then groaned somewhat, so I don't think he liked the options he came up with. Anyhow, it's not that I had any answers or whatnot, just questions.

Dads in university courses
This is a concept I may have introduced long ago on here, but I wanted to revisit it. It's not going to be an issue, since the gentleman in question happens to be in the class I dropped, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Namely, there are certain types of adult students that my gf and I have named "Dads" and "Moms." There seem to be fewer Moms in our experience, but that doesn't mean they don't exist; merely that they're a rarer breed.

Anyway, Dads and Moms are the students, usually adult students, who feel that the professor is engaging in a direct conversation with them. This means that any question the prof poses to the class gets answered by them, without raising their hand or waiting for someone else to answer. This means that any joke the prof makes is directly to them, so they laugh loudly and usually reply in some form. Many questions they ask are unnecessary, and the answers would be obvious if they thought a little -- things like, "this date on the syllabus, that's during reading week? Oh, so you did compensate for that" (after the prof had mentioned how we had an extra class because of the way the schedule was organized.

I have to say, they are generally nice people, but they're simply somewhat ignorant to the way of how classes ought to go. In my opinion, and that of a few other people with whom I have spoken.

My bus adventure
On Thursday, I had to go pick up some textbooks, 'cause I have a bunch of reading to do for one of my classes and less time in which to do it. So off I went to bus out to the middle of nowhere to pick up the textbooks -- I have now been to every single possible location at which professors will order books or course packs. It annoys me.

Anyhow, I got on the bus, this guy moved over to make space, so I sat down next to him. He asked if I knew where a particular street was located -- the one I was headed to, so I said yes, that was where I was also going, and asked if he was going to the same bookstore. As he was, I was asking him if he was picking up textbooks, and for what class, university, etc. -- all the usual nosy questions that one student can ask another.

We chatted the entire way to the bookstore, picked up our textbooks (I bought two magnetic poetry kits, more on that later), and rode the bus back together. I was heading over to work, so I stayed on the bus a bit longer, and he wound up getting off at the same stop as I, so part of me wonders if he rode past his stop in order to keep talking to me or something. Just before I got off the bus, he said he should give me his phone number, so I could call him sometime, and I said nuts to it and gave him my cell number, 'cause I said (truthfully) that I'm bad at calling people.

What this whole event gave me was a bit of confidence in myself. This guy felt comfortable enough around me to tease me and pick on me, calling me obnoxious and such, and liked me enough to offer his number after having seen only my face, basically -- the rest of me was covered pretty much head to toe by my winter coat and backpack. Pretty funky all around.

I know it seems as if I was trying to pick up in this whole event, and I honestly wasn't; I told Moose all about it, and I figure that I'm opening up the possibility of making a new friend. I thought the guy seemed nice enough and all, but I'm simply not looking for another relationship right now. I've got a good one with Mr. Lightyear. ;)

Magnetic poetry
So the bookstore had their magnetic poetry kits on for 40% off, and they had two there I simply couldn't pass up -- one "cat lover's" kit, which was originally $15 (it's a small kit), and the other one, the "erotic" kit. I've seen that once or twice before, and always avoided it because it was pretty pricey -- it was something like $30 before the discount... but 40% off? I couldn't help myself.

Basically, I figure it'll make for fun when I move out, and I might even buy a big magnet board and keep it in my room. Anytime I have trouble coming up with a column, I'll mix up some words -- maybe even combining the kits -- and see if that inspires me. :)

I think that's all that's new and worth mentioning for me for now. Nothing's terribly exciting, I just find moments out of it all and write about it. :) I have to continue doing my school reading -- I got to see my public relations prof from last semester, but didn't get to talk to him much. He said I got an A in the class, or was pretty sure, so that helps out my marks if it's true. :) My school's just being really slow about posting them, unfortunately. It makes me grumbly.

I had a bath late last night and finally got the body hair removal done for a little while. I've been really lax about it this winter; I just can't really be bothered to do it more often than once a week, even if I'm relatively certain people will be seeing/feeling my bare legs. Mind you, a few of my friends thought my legs still felt really soft even after three or four days of growth, so I guess it's not that bad.

I also seem to have gotten fairly comfortable with my body in the last little while. Ideally I'd like to lose a bit of weight, but overall, I think I like how I am. I'm not sure what's brought this about; I guess just incontrovertible evidence that someone (or a few someones) find me attractive, regardless of the extra pudge on my stomach or the extra inches on my hips or thighs. I've always been of the opinion of "This is what I have, and if you don't like it, there's not much I can do about it," but I seem to have gotten even more content in the last month or so.

Anyhow, I think this is long enough to make up for my not having posted for a few days. I think I'll try and do some reading in the background, since I don't have to write anything for a bit. :)

Otherwise... email me more! I get bored really easily. :( I always read them, even if I don't reply right away.

No comments: