2002/02/04

So, I was skimming through the archives [ed note: of another blog I read/contribute to], trying to figure out when it was I started posting, and what kinds of things were being said around that time.

During my perusal, I came across a post that X had made, talking about leaving essays and whatnot until the last minute, and I had to laugh. I've reached the point now where I rarely, if ever, complete any assignment any earlier than the day before it's due. I rarely even start them much sooner than that, regardless of how long they are. My father begot to me the gift of gab, and the gift of bull shit.. or I developed that one myself ... so I don't feel any compunctions at sitting down and saying to myself, "Okay brain, think!"

Mind you, it's not always a successful endeavour, but I generally manage to crack out enough pages of crap to satisfy the requirements. :)

With that all said and done, I'm reaching a point now where I have so much work to do and so little time in which to do it that my apathy levels have just spiked off the charts. I don't care if the papers I turn in suck, I don't care if the group project proposal we submitted sucks (especially as I was left to do it by myself 'cause my friends had to work... well, news flash girls, so did I!, and it was only worth 5% of our total grade... big flippin' deal)... But I should also explain that I do take a great deal of pride in my work, and especially in my writings... so for me to hit apathy is not a good sign.

I have a year and a half left to my degree. I want to care, but I kinda don't. It's a tough time. :P

And here, for those who care, is a rough run-down of my schedule:

Fifteen hours of class a week, Fridays off.
Monday through Wednesday I put in about four hours a day, Thursdays I'm off because of my school schedule.
Fridays, I work from noon until 11 p.m., because I do my daytime work (production) until 6, then I do on-air show production from 6 p.m. until 11 p.m.
Saturdays I'm 6 p.m. until 11 p.m., and Sundays I work from 5 p.m. until 11 p.m.

I also live 90 minutes away from my workplace by bus (which is my general mode of transportation), so there is also that for me to deal with.

This is my short way of saying that my one friend saying she couldn't write the paper because she worked all weekend, did not impress me terribly, and I wrote her a slightly snotty email in reply... especially when all she sent me was her and her friend's student ID numbers, and not the tiny portion of the overall paper I'd asked her to write. :P

Anyhow... basically all this is simply to say that in my little world, the last minute is the best time to get things done. :) Well, maybe not the best time, but the most likely time. I have one group where we're going to be writing our paper over a week before it's due, and this is completely unheard of to me. It actually kinda slightly rocks the foundations of my little world when I think about it. :)

I think I might crosspost this to my site, and include the text of the email I sent, just for fun. :)

No comments: