2003/07/22

We sell gift cards for our Internet Cafe. The way it works, you come to the cash, get a gift card, we put money on it and it translates into time on your account upstairs. The cafe was up and down all day yesterday, so we were discouraging anyone from buying them. Most people were okay with this, but one guy cut me off as I was explaining and said that they had said upstairs it was working and he only needed a few minutes anyhow.

Well, the minimum amount I can put on a card is $2.00 (or twenty minutes), so I loaded him up with that and Bob's his uncle. He asks me if he can use the card in any computer; I thought that was a weird way to phrase it (and I could see how that question might go), but I took as assumed that he meant any of the computers upstairs, so I said yes. He then said, "So if I have any time leftover I can take it home and use it on my laptop or whatever?"

I answered him properly and whatnot, but afterwards I was talking to the other cashier and I was saying, "Sir, please, explain to me how that would work? Where on your laptop is there a card reader through which you can slide this? Or a credit card-sized port into which you can insert this? Did I put a small corner of the Internet onto this card, just for you, so that you can later download it onto your computer and go to town? I should warn you, the corner I put on is the Disney.com corner; I hope that's all you wanted."

Okay, okay, so people are stupid. This has been an accepted fact of mine... oh jeez, for years now. I know that no one understands computers properly unless they work with them in a computer-related field or have a great aount of interest in them. I make no claims to understand them completely myself. But some people... argh.

I remember in high school I used to hear the little teeny punks that I hated even then come in and say, "We got the Internet last night!" or "I got your email and I replied to it and I said this and this and this..." I used to shake my head. Sure, I email people that I see on regular or semi-regular basis. But I don't come in to see them and tell them what I said. Communication in any form is not a novelty for me. "Whoa, a telephone!"

Anyhow, today is going to be a nice, relaxing day. I think it'll just be Buffy-watching all afternoon, but we'll see how it goes. It doesn't look as gloomy as I thought it was supposed to be.

My sister told me the other day that Bravo is going to start airing season six (the final one) of Sex and the City September 19th. Yay! :)

Okay, brainfart there. I can't think of much else to say right now, so I'm going to go feed my face and poke some cats. I kept annoying Shadow yesterday, although she didn't exactly complain; just go in, rub her belly (which she loves) and then go off to do what I had to do. It was fun. :)

No comments: