2004/03/26

Man, Dear Abby was feeling snotty on Wednesday (edited a little, but the bulk is there):

DEAR ABBY: I'm a senior in high school. Until recently no guy I've ever liked has been interested in me. One guy I've liked for a few years -- "Marty" -- finally asked me for a date. It's a problem because my friend "Lori" has liked him a lot longer than I have.
Lori doesn't know it, but Marty told my other friend that even though they've hung out together a few times, he's not interested in her. Lori thinks I'm stealing Marty from her, but I'm not. I don't feel I'm stealing anybody, and I'm so excited. Am I wrong for wanting to go?

I think Lori is blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Does she have the right to be jealous? Shouldn't she be happy for me? I wasn't jealous when she hung out with him -- I supported her. But somehow, I can't help thinking I've betrayed her.

Abby, am I a horrible friend? -- CONFUSED IN OREGON

DEAR CONFUSED: No, but as it stands, you are an ex-friend. I hope he's worth it.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEAR ABBY: My boyfriend, "Justin," and I have been together for a little more than a year. We both work two jobs to support ourselves and make ends meet. I have student loans to pay off and so does Justin.
Abby, my birth control costs me $30 every three months, and sometimes it's difficult to find the extra money to pay for it. We have both agreed that having children right now would not be in our best interests.

Would it be too crass to ask Justin to help pay the cost? -- WONDERING IN VERMONT

DEAR WONDERING: Crass? Not at all. Since the birth control is benefiting both of you, he should share the cost. Put it this way: Tell him it's time to pony up because of economic hardship. From my perspective, he's been getting a free ride for too long.

No comments: